Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Volunteer Types

Nine students and I went to Global Aid Network's warehouse to help with the semi-annual, huge, pack-stuff-in-a-million-boxes party. We were herded in amid hundreds of volunteers and our group was assigned to help with the shoe sorting. I sent my nine to separate areas in the crowd to gain instructions from the people who already knew what they were doing. I was--I am--so proud of them. I watched them throughout our two hour bout with lots of dirty shoes. They maintained smiles; they worked hard. When the work got slow elsewhere, a few even went over to the shoe cleaning area and picked up a scrub brush. Nasty work, that.

None of these students had struck me as being any particular volunteer type. But my judgments have been poor company lately.

I wanted to name the post, "I've Got Sole But I'm Not a Soldier" That's right, a pun, folks. But I felt too much shame to retain it... and it didn't make any sense.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha. i would have gone for that title anyways - but i do like it better as a postscript.

    ReplyDelete