Thursday, March 22, 2012

More on Hyphens

I kid you not.

Same handout, different problem. I was talking about how with certain prefixes, we add a hyphen to avoid aberrations in the appearance of the word. I used the example "un-American."  Without the hyphen, we have a capital letter mid-word—"the horror of it all!" I said, "This should never happen in English." I said this dramatically, extemporaneously, as I often do in order to wake people up. I mean, it's not like science class where one might get away with threatening immediate danger to life and limb if students do not follow instructions. Honestly, petty annoyance resulting in the loss of a point for proper mechanics is my highest threat. Still, I feel they ought to know... But I should have given my dramatic "never" some extra thought. David took no time at all to respond, "You mean, like 'McKalips'?" Burn. I feebly tried to say that it was Irish, and therefore not applicable.

3 comments:

  1. hahah! that's hilarious. You have some smart students. I wish I could attend one of your classes. I bet it's pretty cool; since you are pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Ashley, you are welcome in my classroom any time. Any time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't u tell them the exception is proper nouns--they break all the rules, and rules of English were meant to be broken--like i before e, except after c except in neighbor & weigh?way?hey, hey, hay. Mom ps check your gmail

    ReplyDelete