Thursday, August 9, 2012

To be a Woman...

I know a woman who will not leave her husband of 50 years, despite his mental and verbal abuse, because God has asked her to love her husband, and many husbands are not half so good as hers.

I know a guy who wants to be a girl, and feels that he's in the wrong body: hormone injections start next month.

I know a book that wants to put me in a box: girls play with dolls, and girls play in the kitchen, and girls teach Sunday school; and boys play with trucks, open the door, and pay for meals.

This tells me that gender is something. But no one knows what. I don't understand what makes gender. It is more than differing sex organs. There's something fundamentally different about how we think. Yet, I don't know of one stereotype that withstands every culture. I began to ask people what it is to be a woman. I'm still puzzling over it.

What is it to be a woman?



No comments:

Post a Comment