Thursday, September 24, 2015

Stuck on an Island With Taylor Swift: 7 Days of 1989

Day One: I'm so glad I have this brand new CD for my broke-down car CD player. I love "Wildest Dreams." I think I have told everyone about it. I will listen to it on repeat.

Day Two: crying Still playing "Wildest Dreams."

Day Three: I'm driving to an outdoor wedding, thinking about my hair while it rains hard. "Clean" is on repeat until I pick up two more bridesmaids, and we drive to pictures together: "Wildest Dreams" six more times.

Day Four: Today is Sunday, and I'm reminded that I also love Jesus, along with Taylor. So I turn on the radio, and listen to... is that Michael W. Smith?... Can't do it. Back to Taylor, "This Love." I led small group tonight, and realized that at one point, three T-Swift songs were vying for being the song in my head. It was difficult to explain to small group, but I think they get it.

Day Five: I've begun to feel very emotional. Is it the music? Is it a lack of sleep? "This Love," on repeat.

Day Six: Maybe it's time to diversify my listening throughout the day? I listen to Mumford and Sons at work, but realize that it's their latest album, which, true to critique, sounds like nothing, and I was humming Taylor Swift anyway.

Day Seven: It has finally occurred to me that certain paths of my recent actions may have been influenced by Taylor Swift's catchy lyrics and steady eyeliner. This, of course, has led me to an important decision, in which I take out the CD I've been protecting by locking my car, and I insert a different CD. It doesn't matter which one. None are as good, none as smooth, none as fun, nor well-produced as Taylor. But it may be my last chance to grip reality, and I cannot miss it.

1 comment: