Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Riddle Me This...

How do you teach about the separation of church and state without recommending it? I have a certain affinity for it, as a matter of fact.

It becomes necessary to talk about the interference of the church and state when teaching about the Middle Ages. I was an inch away from going off on my usual rant regarding the separation of church and state when I realized... I am living in a Muslim country.

That is to say, this is not a Muslim country in the same way I'm from a "Christian" country, but in a way that has laws that dictate religious observances.

So I stopped abruptly, mid-lecture, and said we'd pick up there tomorrow. Right now it's 8:38 PM, and I'm planning tomorrow. It occurs to me that I spend each school day creating new riddles for myself to work out in the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment