Wednesday, May 17, 2017

I've Been Almost This Lonely Before

I remember the last time I was this lonely. It was my first year of teaching and being a dorm adviser at LMH.
  • I never had enough sleep.
  • I didn't hang out with people regularly.
  • I always had grading hanging over my head. 
  • I was responsible in part for the well-being of so many kids, and the job just never seemed to end. 
  • I had no idea where to make boundaries. Of course I had to move all those boundaries over the next two years. 
It was all a bear of a task. What I remember, though, was feeling so lonely. I remember kneeling in child's pose that winter, crying out to God about how damn uncertain and tiring the whole thing was. Was I in the right place? Was I doing this right? How would I know if I was doing it right? Why do I feel so alone, God?It was the loneliest I had been up to that point.

This is a harder life in so many ways, but the fact that I have that experience as part of me makes this one easier. It's a lot of the same, but at least I've done some of it before:
  • I never have enough sleep.
  • I don't hang out with people regularly.
  • I always have grading hanging over my head.
  • I'm responsible for my own well-being, and I don't know what that looks like.
  • I have no idea where to make boundaries.
Why not just solve one problem, and at least hang out with people more regularly?

It's partly because I need to make new friends to hang out with, and that is a slow process. Deep friendships take time, and shallow ones take energy.

I'm afraid of hanging out with only Americans, because, as I've already seen, they come and go so quickly. I've only been here for nine months, and already I've seen people leave who came here with me. That leaves local friends: Moroccan and other African friends who are likely to stick around. But there's the problem of the language barrier. And there's the problem of my disillusionment with Morocco stemming from the students I teach. It's not been a conscious decision, but if all Moroccans are like my students, how can I ever trust anyone? They lie to me like it's their job.

So, I'm lonely. But I'm not ashamed of it. It's like Jessica and the Reverend Mother, talking together in Dune... 
"I've been so lonely."
"It should be one of the tests," said the old woman. "Humans are almost always lonely."

No comments:

Post a Comment