Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Of All the Times When I Ignore my Homework...

this weekend proved to be the most worthwhile substitution! Friday after Biology, I started for Houghton College, arriving in the evening, just in time for a lovely barbecue party. Friday evening was general outbursts of joy (especially from me!) at just being in the same room as my good friends. I've longed for them all fervently, and my cup is overflowing!

Christine, Sheri, Shulan, Ashley, Erin, Bethany, Lydia.

Saturday was a mixture of meetings with friends, most notably the surprise party at Bethany's townhouse which I almost missed, negligently planning a low-key, on-the-fly trip to Letchworth park. It didn't pan out to go to Letchworth due to some lucky eggs... but so much the better! (Thanks go to Kevin here!) I walked in to Bethany's living room to find most of my friends from freshmen year seated about, shouting "surprise!"! This is the very kind of moment we all dream about! (Thanks go to EVERYONE here!) Drs. Woolsey and Mills-Woolsey were even able to come and we discussed some interesting ideas for developing the London program.

Liesl, Ben, Eric, Kristen, Megan, Megan, Kristina, Lydia.

Following the party, Bethany, Ashley and I went to Letchworth. We even brought along books, with the mistaken idea that we would sit quietly on a sunlit patch of grass and wait for the sunset to tell us to leave. But it was waaay cold. So we walked around, talked about the future, the past, the present, and made for the car when we couldn't feel our arms anymore. Also Saturday: Chinese, bonfire, s'mores, dancing, laughter.

Brett, Ren, Debbie, Cecily, Sally, Olivia, Rachel, Rachel, Laura, Sarah, Emily.

Sunday was even colder. We went to the Salvation Army church in Wellsville. That was made especially memorable by the two new[born] members of the church: Graham and Chayse.

Pam, Hillary, Matt, Keith, Keith, Erica, Katrina, Laura, Susanna.

On Monday, I attended Dr. Woolsey's literature class called "Fantastic Truths" in which they pull foundational truths out of fantasy literature. Monday was The Fellowship of the Ring. Wow! So many students participated in the discussion--and not simply at a rudimentary level, but insightfully, I daresay prophetically! Monday I also met up with Eric, Olivia, Zan, Dara, Sheri, and several other people. It was a full day. In the evening I attended the lecture given by Stanley Hauerwas. I will devote time to describing that lecture at some other point.

Dara, Maddie, Ashley, Kristina, Amanda, Amy, Connie, Mark, Sophie.

These lists of happenings are not terribly interesting for someone not in the know of how influential each of the names mentioned has been in my life. My aim in acknowledging them here and now is to somehow not forget that we can come back together as if time and space had not separated us very far. We have already done it once.

No comments:

Post a Comment