Monday, October 26, 2009

Thinking About Church Membership

I don't think I get it. Insofar as church must handle sums of money and decide what to do with it, I understand having official members. But what makes me a member? Is it attending a class and standing in front of a group and saying out loud that I am one of them? It seems to me the very moment someone quantifies this answer, the Holy Spirit has moved beyond it.

How do I recognize a church member? I want to equate "church member" exactly with "Christ-follower". Why would these ever be separated? I recognize Christ-followers most when they're interacting with one another, praying or singing or serving someone in need. I can recognize a Christ-follower when he/she is accountable to a group, under someone's authority, patient in affliction, joyful in hope... In order to be continuous and consistent in our lives, I think believers must live accountably as part of a church. I advocate that we continue to meet together, and all the more, as we see the Day approaching! But I am more than a little confused as to qualifications for church membership. What is more, official church membership seems superfluous after having been baptized into Christ's body.

I suspect that membership in a particular part of the body of Christ (a local church) is really recognizable by relationships. But I feel I am treading on ground too high for me when I think about the Church.

I asked my housemates about official church membership. Joella's response: "The devil is in the details."

4 comments:

  1. I love you're view point, couldn't have said it better myself. The pharisee, sudusees, and other critical thinkers, just need to trust the Holy Spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Daniel

    I don't think I could lump the pharisees and sadducees in with critical thinkers. It seems to me that they were often in error because they did not know the word of God. Jesus advocated to them to think even more critically than they did.

    I may have misunderstood your comment, though. Were you saying we need to avoid the magnifying glass approach to the Holy Spirit? I would second that. Our retinas would burn out of their sockets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not ctitical thinkers, I meant, critical spirits & negative thinkers. All in all the gospel's pretty simple, but we should grow in wisdom & knowledge thruough the Holy Spirit. BTW it is Sarah, not Dan

    ReplyDelete