Sunday, November 15, 2009

A Deli Tale: John O'Hurley

Bill was not at work on Saturday. He and his family took a one or two night vacation in Philly. He still called the deli a few times to check up on everything. Around eight on Saturday night, the following conversation took place, to the best of my memory:

Me: Campus Deli, how can I help you?
Bill: Carolyn? Hey, it's Bill. How are things goin'?
Me: Pretty normal.
Bill: Good. Hey, do you ever watch Seinfeld?
Me: Yeah. I used to watch it all the time.
Bill: What was the name of Elaine's boss? The gray-haired guy.
Me: Do you mean his real-life name? Or his character name?
Bill: Either.
Me: ooh, Bill. I really couldn't tell ya. Hey Wayne, Todd, did you guys ever watch Seinfeld? [Wayne and Todd being my co-workers, and who had not seen an episode in recent history]
Bill: Peterman! ...Peterman! J. Peterman, right?
Me: Yes! I think that is right. Nice job. But what was his real name?
Bill: Jacobo, wasn't it? Something like that. [The actor's name is John O'Hurley.]
Me: Why did you ask, exactly?
Bill: We're at a restaurant in this hotel, and he just walked by! Oh man. Oh man! I hope I can get a picture with him and the girls! [Here, Bill asks the waitress if that was the guy from Seinfeld, and if he was a nice customer]
Me: So, is he a nice guy?
Bill: What? Oh, yeah. [Did he forget I was on the phone?] She said he's, like, a really nice guy. I think I'll go ask him if we can get a picture! He's really a handsome man.
Me: Yes. He is a handsome man.

1 comment: