Friday, December 10, 2010

Oh! the Places You'll Miss!

Is it a curse of getting older that you begin to miss people and places no matter where you are and how good a life you have? Does it keep piling up, the people and places you love and therefore miss?

Facebook has not been helpful here, really. I see my friend list, and think about Fairview Avenue Brethren in Christ, the first place where I felt as though God were my Father. I miss my mentors from there: I had six that I can count off, no problem.

And it was at FABIC that I learned the book of Hebrews as few have had the privilege of learning the book of Hebrews: forward and backward and forever.

And it was at FABIC where I made so many friends: irreplaceable, good people, who were too young to pretend to be something they weren't.

Let's face it, geography means an awful lot. You have to make local friends, though you keep less local ones forever.

My conclusion before I started was that missing people and places is not a curse at all, really. But an aching blessing.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. The difference for me is that I miss those things even while I still live in the boro. Things have certainly changed a lot.

    ReplyDelete