Tuesday, September 1, 2009

"Arrival"

Abbreviated adaptations from my journal. As promised:

The first flight: fine.
The second flight: late. By the time we were off the ground, the kids had worn themselves out. They had asked every question imaginable. Seriously. They expressed interest in every single aspect of their adventure: how does a plane fly? what are those green things? when will we eat? what does your bracelet say?

The bracelet says, "Cristo Vive," and the story of Jesus' death and resurrection took their attention for a longer time than most adults, to the endless fascination of a kind-looking woman sitting nearby.

I began to get nervous as the second flight departed and then my million ridiculous questions started, just as the kids fell asleep: what if they don't meet us? where do we go in the airport to meet them? who will carry our bags? what will immigration say about our travel situation? why did I wear stupid flip-flops, after all? will they like me?

When they did find us, we were on the move. I turned around when I heard, "Carolina!" and found a matronly, sociable Mexican woman. We embraced as if I were her lost grandchild, so great was my relief! I couldn't stop smiling for the rest of the day. I even gladly ate a meal at McDonald's, (noting the irony of the spotlessness of the place). It may have been better for me had I not eaten at McDonald's, though. Because as soon as we arrived at the house, Dona Delfina gave us more food. I should mention that Dona Delfina came to meet us accompanied by Mauricio, a cousin and the driver; Rogelio, her son and now my boyfriend; and Francisco, a cousin. Somehow it was possible to fit us all and our six bags into an Eddie Bauer edition Ford Explorer.

1 comment:

  1. What? "now my boyfriend" ? What on earth is that supposed to mean... did u go mexicana on me?

    ReplyDelete