Tuesday, September 1, 2009

"No Idea"

Abbreviated adaptations from my journal. As promised:

bañarse: bathe
nadar: swim

Spanish 101; there's a difference between these two terms, except in the following situation: Los Bañarios de Pachuca. They're thermal springs. Okay. But I didn't know that. So I packed for swimming, and for a bath, because it sounded public. It certainly was. Los Bañarios are a public swimming facility, and we stayed outside all day. One thing I forgot to bring to Mexico: sunscreen. I burnt myself rather nicely. But even so, I am sure that God protected my body from worse. Plus, as I passed by a family applying sunscreen, I asked to use some. They were confused. Everyone is confused when I speak. I am confused when they speak. It is a different vocabulary here than any I have studied. But I don't claim to have studied hard.

1 comment: