Friday, March 11, 2011

Student Teaching, Week Seven

When I look back over the week, I don't see any increase in my responsibilities. I taught less, planned less, did less in the classroom, actually. But why am I feeling so tired right now?

Next week, I'll be teaching Huckleberry Finn in the two college prep classes, and also implementing my own unit plan for nonfiction in my tech prep class.

Some things that I find intimidating about this:

  • My computer isn't adapting well to the smartboard. (But we have a smartboard! So awesome.)
  • I haven't yet finished lesson plans for the first two days of the nonfiction unit
  • I constantly feel as though I am gypping the students out of what's best for them when I'm teaching.
  • I wonder how they will react to my personal ideas
  • I wonder how my cooperating teacher will react to my personal ideas
  • Do I have enough of my own ideas in the unit?
  • I wonder if I will be able to forgive myself for all the mistakes I make during the day when I get into the car and drive away
  • What if we have extra time in class?
  • What if I miss important information for their lives? (Or worse, the PSSA test...hah.)
  • Staying organized enough to pull off a couple weeks teaching a full load
  • Job applications--yeah, 'bout those.
There we have it folks, the things that go through my mind before I sleep, as I'm driving, while I'm planning, while I'm not planning, while I walk to work, while I get another round for table 55, while I clean out the pickle fridge... And this is the abridged list, I'm afraid.

But the good news is (there should be one line of good news, at least), this afternoon, when I came home, flowers were on our porch. They were for someone else, but we got to keep them, since they had the wrong address!

The actual bad news is that this is the week that Japan was all but destroyed by a tsunami. God, forgive my skewed perspective. Today, I feel for my brothers and sisters in Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment