Sunday, December 30, 2012

Adviser Advice

On the last week of school last year, I asked Lachelle, Chadwick, and Ben what advice they might give all advisers everywhere, having survived the job for three, seven, and two years, respectively. I remind myself of them today for two reasons: first, because the students will return to the residence hall in two days (after which there will be students in the residence hall non-stop for the next six months), and I want to remember these sage words as I begin the long plodding; and secondly, because I had written them in last year's planner, which can now safely be thrown away. Without further ado, here were their responses:

"If you don't know what to do, use Google." -Chad

"Get off campus at least twice four times a week." -Ben B. 

"You don't need an answer right away." "Slow down." "Unless it's time to call 911." -Chad, Lachelle, Ben

"Avoid all students on your day off." -Ben B.

"Even the students you like are going to do horrifically stupid things." -Chad

"Know your limits." -Lachelle

"You can like people and not trust them at the same time." -Chad

No comments:

Post a Comment